Monday, January 29, 2024

Taking matters on the fly – the trials and tribulations of an incidental traveler

 

[airport hall*]

Due to a personal situation, I had to fly to the United States from Israel on a moment’s notice, not an easy matter during the current war. Small courtesies and inconveniences make a great impression on a traveler especially for those occupied by difficult thoughts. In particular, I saw how differences in flight class, airline sites/applications and airports can affect the whole travel experience.

First, the luxury of business class goes well beyond the actual seats. Of course, it is wonderful to sleep properly on cross-Atlantic flights, allowing the traveler to arrive fresh and alert, just like in those old Pan Am commercials, not to mention to reduce the probablity of getting Covid. However, beyond the immediate comfort is the peace of mind that from arrival at the airport of departure to retrieval of the luggage at the airport of destination, the service staff is friendly and helpful. I do not have figure out those self-check-in machines; I can wait in a lounge that is quiet, has clean bathrooms, serves good coffee and meals and even has quiet rooms and showers in some cases. These relative peace and quiet calms the nerves significantly. Of course, business and first class get on and off the plane first, reducing the stress of crowding. For me, not having to worry about overhead space is an additional relief as I am worrier when I travel. For me, travelling business class on cross Atlantic flights , depending on the price, almost makes flying pleasurable.

However, to get a flight, it is necessary to order a ticket. That process has become quite complex due to the lack of complete information on any given route and the presentation of the existing information. People forget that some airlines have a policy not to list their flights with the certain sites, notably PSA in the United States, meaning that these sites do not show more convenient or less expensive options that may exist. Sometimes, it may be possible to find less expensive rates on another application or the actual airline site. Knowing that no site is totally comprehensive, I know to search widely for travel solutions. However, it is very distressing to discover that many airlines post one-way prices only, creating the impression that the flight is inexpensive. It is only several clicks later that one discovers that the desired route is no less expensive, if not more expensive, than the alternatives. This is annoying at minimum and, in my opinion, deceptive advertising at maximum. As one agent said, if seems too good to be true, it probably is. Booking tickets online can be a confusing and trying experience.

As I flew through three different airports, I could directly compare their user friendliness. I discovered that, regardless of size, the factors that influenced my impression of their design were access, signing, layouts and bathrooms To be specific, certain airports require long hikes to even get to the check-in point (LAX) while others are a hop, skip and jump (Athens). I really don’t want to get tired before I even get through security. I discovered the importance of signing as deplaning in an unknown airport is very confusing. I learned to appreciate omnipresent gate displays and arrows indicating the direction of distant gates. This element is related to the general layout of the airport. I felt at ease in the “market” atmosphere of Athens as compared to the open industrial clamor of Amersterdam. I have to mention that I regretted having a full breakfast when I saw that Greek fluffy pastry by the gate in Eleftherios Venizelos Airport. Still, bathrooms are the one single factor that make airport layovers easier. Plentiful and clean bathrooms are vital for mental health. Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport is a disaster. Reaching them requires going down stairs, not exactly a pleasure when carrying bags. Upon entering them, there were flooded or dirty. Given the longer and longer time between connecting flights, the airport experience has a great impact on the flying experience.

Alas, it is not always possible to afford business, easily identify the best flight and choose airports. Travel will always remain an adventure for better or worse. I do my best to roll with the situation and cope. Still, not all flights are created equally pleasant, alas.



* Picture captions allow the blind to fully access the Internet.

Picture credit

No comments:

Post a Comment