Sunday, August 11, 2019

Manifesto of an atheist Jew



Israel is land where spirituality in all of its forms defines you. Putting aside the various divisions among Christians and Muslims with whom I am less familiar, the range of expression of faith among Israeli Jews is amazingly varied. At one end are Jews that refuse to speak Hebrew (and speak Yiddish instead) because it is a holy language and officially reject the state of Israel because its establishment was not in the manner foreseen in the Bible.  On the other extreme are those that are choose to eat cheeseburgers on Yom Kippur to express their complete rejection of Judaism. In between are a wide range of observant and non-observant behaviour and tolerance.

I am an atheist Jew. To explain, although I can accept that others believe in God, I not only lack that faith but simply find it sufficient to believe in probability. In short, I don’t require a chief engineer in the sky to understand and accept this world. From this state of point, it follows, in my mind, that the holy writings, e.g. the Bible, Mishna, Talmud and Halacha, to name only a few, are the product of human thought, albeit rather intelligent one in some cases, and can be criticized and even rejected outright. I therefore feel no obligation or even logic to follow the countless rules of behaviour expected of a good Jew, as largely codified in the halacha.

On the other hand, I do not want to throw away the baby with the bath water. Judaism carries a rich body of proscriptions regarding ethics, derech eretz, which should serve as a model of behavior. To oversimplify, I do believe in the ten commandments. For example, in a proper, healthy society, the vast majority of people do not murder, steal or lie. The key to satisfaction is worrying about your situation and not trying to “keep up the Joneses”. Sleeping with another person’s partner is clearly a stupid and dangerous thing to do, not to mention rather destructive for everybody involved (except for the lawyers). Within the family, honoring your father and mother creates stability for all members. As for converting people of other religions, it is a source of countless troubles. For that matter, blaming god or thinking that god makes you special often makes leads to irresponsible behavior. I am even for keeping the sabbath in the sense of not working at least one day a week as the practice is vital for physical and mental health. So, I am a proud Jew in appreciating and trying to practice its basic tenets in its spirit even as I reject the long record of the interpretation of those tenets.

In this way, I am a non-believing Jew. I fully accept my identity as a Jew and feel equally free to reject many, if not most, of its traditions and rules. Granted, there is a tension in this position, bordering on a contradiction. However, most manifestos carry those qualities as reality is more complex than any statement of belief. Not only that, I am one of many Jews, Israeli and others, that so believe even if they do not express their identity in this manner. Of course, there are countless more on both sides of the issue that would strongly disagree with me and even find them offensive.  That is quite normal and even acceptable. As they say, two Jews, three opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment