Sunday, June 16, 2019

Camping out and in



This week, I took my annual camping vacation, one night, at a spot I discovered last year, an organized camp ground on the Dan River in northern Israel.  When not occupied by some urgent activity, like making dinner, I spent most of my time sitting in the river and contemplating my navel.  I personally had a wonderful time.

Among my thoughts were how unpleasant camping could be for the those without a preinclination to enjoy it. The arranging of the gear and purchase of food takes a lot of time.  Packing the car is a logistical challenge especially if you don’t own a SUV and insist on having use of your rear-view mirror.  The drive, around an hour, was pleasant enough.  However, on arrival, in this case, it is necessary to haul all the gear to the camping site.  Picking the right spot can be daunting because, as in all important matters, every niche has a drawback or two. After getting hot and sweaty arranging the camp ground, temperature management becomes an issue as the midday sun in Israel is hot and always seems to be heating up the place where that was relatively pleasant a half hour ago. Being by a river encourages over social flies in the day shift and mosquitos in the night shift. Lunch was easy but requires a bit of improvisation as I insist as a matter of pride in bringing only the essential kitchen items. The afternoon nap is rendered a bit challenging by those same flies and rising heat.  The post-nap coffee is black coffee, not expresso.  Of course, we did not bring our computer. So, entertainment was limited to cards and backgammon, not to mention the previously mentioned river bathing.  Dinner involves getting smoky due to the grill and sharing with the flies, at the peak of their activity.  The showers (and toilet) are rather primitive and a short walk away. The day ends when the sun goes to sleep, except for those activities a lantern or flashlight allow. Sleep is on the hard ground, albeit with a mattress, watched over by insects, some of which can sting as we discovered. At this time of the year, the sun rises at 5:30 and wakes me up even if it has not yet warmed the air. As this was for only one night, in the late morning, I had to pack up everything, haul it and load the car, drive back, dump the gear outside and go to my afternoon work. As a final send off, everything had to be cleaned and put away for the next trip.

However, life is a matter of perspective. I get excited, even nostalgic, seeing my camping gear from which I have been separated for a year. Planning the menu increases the expectation. The car loading is a chance to show my skill, granted nothing special, in logistics. The adrenalin makes the hauling child’s play even though it has been many years since childhood. I use my intuition (or my daughter’s whose intuition is better) and seize the best place, which by definition is great since it was chosen. The heat and flies are part of the experience and add pleasure to sitting in the river. As for the nap, it is, like all sleep when camping, whatever it is with no expectations. I love sweet black coffee on camping trips, especially with almonds to accompany it.  What male does not enjoy getting stinky by the fire especially when the running water of river and shower will wash it away later. Backgammon is real fun when I am not in a hurry, a rare phenomenon that mainly occurs when I go camping. I am rather tired by the end of the daylight. I have to admit that I now take a sleeping pill when camping so I can function properly the next day.  I love the early hours of the morning and sights and sounds of the running river, not to mention the birds seeking their breakfast. Much better than even the best TV show. The packing up, driving home and going to work is a bit of a bummer but there is next year. Maybe I can stay for two nights! 

Camping is not a neutral experience. For those who don’t click with the experience, it is a lot of effort for very little enjoyment. However, for its enthusiasts, the effort only enhances the enjoyment. For me, camping is always in.

No comments:

Post a Comment