Tuesday, May 14, 2024

In solving C – the mental travails of translator

 

[cartoon face with tongue sticking out*]

Every crossword solver hates the moment: the word is on the tip of your tongue but it refuses to come out. In my latest case, it was “inability to pay" – starting with “in”.

While I also enjoy crossword puzzles, I experience this phenomenon on an almost daily basis as I am a professional translator. Aside from subtle issues with the language from which I am working, I face the problem of finding the exact word in the language to which I am translating, which happens to be English, my native language. It should be easy as pie (easy-peasy as the British might say) but sometimes I simply cannot recall the exact word.

As I often do not have the luxury of waiting for another clue or waiting for later and hoping the word will come, I have to resort to mechanical means. As usual, the Internet serves as one savior. When the context is general, Google Translate or Reverso provides some options with the former less effective as the result  is limited to one option. When the context is specialized, online dictionaries (WordReference.com, Multitrans.ru and Wellisch.co.il  are my favorites, depending on the language combination) provide a quick list of synonyms. Sometimes my printed dictionaries are the fastest and most accurate reminder. My last trick is typing “synonym for xxxxx”, which give me a list of words, which usually jogs my memory. (BTW – I used the last technique to remember the verb jog in the phrase.) With that challenge overcome, I can now continue translating until the next memory challenge.

For those that could not think of the word, it is insolvency. Do not feel bad if you failed to identify it. Translators after many hours sometimes struggle to recall much simpler words. So, translation buyers, don’t ask your translators to work 12-hour days. Imagine trying to do crossword puzzles for that long. To paraphrase Nat King Cole, a person may be unforgettable but words, especially after many hours, are quite forgettable.**

 

 

* Picture captions help the blind fully access the Internet.

** According to my numbering system, this is my 600th post I have written. Time flies when you are having fun.

Picture credit

No comments:

Post a Comment